
For a quick vacation, we went to the
Pinecove Family New Year's Retreat at the Bluffs (near Tyler,
Tx). We stayed in the above cabin, which Ana thought was so cool. It really was rooming and as you can see below the view over Lake Palestine was beautiful. We arrived around 5 pm on New Year's Eve, unpacked, and headed to dinner. I was VERY impressed with the counselors...they waited on the girls hand and foot. For the first time, I actually got to make my plate and eat the food while it was still warm. :-) All four girls had a counselor that made their plates for them, got their drinks, cut up their food, and got refills for them. I didn't know what to do with myself, I am so used to having to make four plates and feed Adi before I can even begin to eat. The counselors performed a skit after the meal that was based on two people trying to steal the fireworks and two "really smart nerdy" people trying to protect the fireworks. The smart people had put in an "
elaborate"alarm system (made from string) that the bad guys were trying to decode. When they caught them Adi, who was watching the skit very intently,
squealled VERY loudly. The whole crowd laughed and then the smart guy said, "And that is our back up alarm system so you should be very afraid" and the bad guy said, "I am!". It was funny. I thought that was so good how they worked Adi's squeal into the skit. She loved watching it. Ava was afraid of the bad guys and held her hands over her ears the whole time and told Jodi repeatedly that she wanted to go home. Ali just sat and ate her apple. I'm not sure she even realized that there was a skit going on. After supper we took Ava, Ali, and Adi to "
kidscove" to play. They loved it. When we picked them up at 10:45 pm, they didn't want to leave. While they were at
kidscove, Jodi, Ana, and I went to worship time followed by silly game time. We really enjoyed the worship and especially loved playing the silly "icebreaker" type games. Ana played the games and sang the songs, but just really wasn't that into it and even turned down going on the hayride/
marsh mellow roast. This is not usual behavior for Ana, but upon arriving back to the cabin, I knew why....

She was sick!! She was running 103.4 fever! We were up most of the night with her just burning up and feeling horrible. The next morning she asked if we could go home, so we packed up and left by 10 that morning. We were so sad to leave -- especially since we were going to miss out on all the scheduled activities, but obviously we had no choice. I took the young ones to eat breakfast while Jodi stayed in the cabin with Ana. The counselors offered to take them to
kidscove while I packed, which I thought was very nice of them.

After packing up the car, we walked over to
kidscove to get Ava, Ali, and Adi. They did not want to leave, the counselors had just told them that it was time to go ride horses. So we went with them so that they wouldn't miss out.

Here Adi is excited about the horses. I was really surprised that she was going to ride one...

Oops, she changed her mind, she only wanted to wear the helmet to pet the horse, she didn't want to ride it AT ALL!! (The helmet was bigger than Adi!)

Ali LOVED riding the horse. She just smiled such a sweet content smile the entire time. She really is an animal lover and this was just right up her alley. (pardon the pun)

Even though Ana was still running a high fever, the counselors let her ride a horse so that she wouldn't have to miss out on everything. I thought that was nice of them to let her ride and to let her go first so as not to get anyone else sick. I warned the counselor walking with her about her being sick, but she just smiled and said, the horse won't get sick and neither will I. (I sure hope she didn't!)

Ava had no interest in riding a horse, she didn't even want to pet one. She was very content and happy to watch Ana and Ali ride. When Ali was done, Ava excitedly
yelled to her, "Ali you rode that horsey, good job!". I asked her at that point if she wanted to ride the horse and she said, "No thanks, I just watch horsey".

For the short time we were there, we had a great time and were very impressed with the camp and the
counselors. They
generously gave us a substantial credit for next year's retreat. So, hopefully next year when we return, no one will get sick and we will get to participate in all the activities. :-)
1 comment:
Sorry it was short. It looks like y'all will have to return next year!
Post a Comment